WILLIAM MARTIN TEAGUE, of Montgomery, Ala., was born in Benton (now Calhoun) county, Ala., on December 7, 1843, °f Scotch-Irish parentage. His father was Abner A. Teague, a native of South Carolina, who came to Alabama in 1836 and engaged in farming. He is now living near Georgetown, Tex., aged eighty- four years. He was born on October 9, 1820. Elias Teague, the father of Abner A., was also a farmer, and a native of South Carolina; he came to Alabama in 1836 with his son Abner, and died in Calhoun county
at the age of seventy-six years. The wife of Abner A. was Julia Scar- brough, daughter of Lemuel Scarbrough, of North Carolina. Her mother was Nancy, daughter of William Christian, of North Carolina, who moved to Alabama about the same time as did Abner Teague. William Martin Teague received his early education in private schools, being a student under Judge Graham at Lowndesboro, Ala., and at Bragg’s, near Wetumpka, Ala. He was a student at the last named place until the commencement of the war between the States. In 1861 Mr. Teague joined the Wetumpka Light Guards under Capt. E. S. Ready. This company formed a part of Company I, Third Alabama infantry, under command of Col. Tennent Lomax. It left Montgomery, Ala., April 27, 1861, and was mustered into service at Lynchburg, Va., May 5, 1861. From Lynchburg it was sent to Norfolk, Va., where the company remained about one year and then went to Richmond. It was first under fire at Drewry’s Bluff, Va., and at Seven Pines in battle lasting two days. In this battle on Sunday morning Col. Lomax was killed. The battle known as the Seven Days’ Fight was the next engagement. On the last day of the fight Mr. Teague was wounded in the leg. He was sent home on furlough; returning, he overtook his regiment at Fredericksburg, Md. Three days later he was in the battle of South Mountain, and three days after that he was engaged at Antie- tam, Md. His next engagement was at Fredericksburg, Va., and then he was in Stonewall Jackson’s celebrated circuit around Hooker’s left flank at Chancellorsville. From there he went to Pennsylvania, and was engaged in the battle of Gettysburg. Here he was severely wounded in the face, the ball carrying away a large portion of the jawbone and ranging downward into the shoulder. He was left on the field, fell into the hands of the enemy, and was taken to Chester, Pennsylvania. Here he was sent to the prison hospital. The ball was extracted on the 27th of July, 1863; he was paroled some three months later. He was sent home. Being unfit for field service, he was transferred to the commissary department under R. D. Shropshire at Eufaula, Ala., where he served until the close of the war. At the end of the war Mr. Teague engaged in a small way in mercantile business and farming. Removing to Greenville, Ala., in 1866, he engaged in the mercantile business. He remained there until 1883.