BARTHOLOMEW PICKARD (Son of BARTHOLOMEW)
Bartholomew PICKERT [PICKARD] Bartholomew was a soldier and emigrant to the colony of New York. He was born at Leicester, England, and baptized in St. Martin’s, September 18, 1676. His parents were Bartholomew and Dorothy PICKARD.
In 1697, Bartholomew joined His Majesty’s Army and shipped out with three companies of troops consisting of two hundred men to New York. They were deployed to protect the Northern Frontier from raids by the French and their Indian allies.
He was transferred to Schenectady near the end of 1698. It was here that he met and married a Dutch girl, Eechje [Eva] CLAES on November 12, 1698. She had been born near Schenectady about 1680. Her father may have been Nicholas Claes.
They were members of the Reformed Church of Schenectady. Their first three children were baptized there. About 1706, they moved to Albany, where Bart was a Grenadier in Colonel Richard Ingoldsby’s Company until sometime after 1713.
He was granted a lot for a farm about six miles west of Albany on the King’s Highway on January 15, 1717. He farmed there until 1723, when he was granted a patent at Stone Arabia for 940 acres. His neighbors were the Palatines who had come over in 1709, and were finally receiving some land of their own. Since the record keepers were most likely German or at least expected all the local inhabitants to be German, it may explain why Bartholomew was recorded as Pikkert rather than Pickard. He is even described in one source as one of the distressed Palatines who came in 1709.
Bartholomew died in New York, in 1742. He may have been buried on his farm.
Bart and Eva acquired property on the east side of Canajoharie about 1731.
It was supposedly a gift to them by the Mohawks and had been confirmed by a “Moonlight survey.” Apparently Eva PIKKERT and Sir William JOHNSON were at odds about the legality of this gift. She is mentioned in more than one letter in the Jonhson Papers. Eva died when she was about eighty-five years old, shortly after she and her grandson Jacobus Mabie were evicted by Sir William JOHNSON from this property in 1767.
via Pickard Family.